Make the most of maintaining your nutritional goals by loading up on healthy snacks. Here are 16 great ideas for easy, healthy snack hacks on the go.
- Spread granny smith apple wedges with chunky cashew butter and top with toasted sesame seeds.
- Ants on a Log: Stuff celery sticks with almond butter and dot with raisins.
- Cut, raw veggies dipped in low-fat or fat-free plain Greek yogurt mixed with a packet of Hidden Valley Greek yogurt dip mix.
- Deviled Eggs: Replace mayo with Greek yogurt to make deviled eggs. Stir a handful of finely chopped onions and a pinch of salt, pepper into the yolks. Sprinkle smoked paprika and freshly chopped dill on top.
Afternoon or After-Dinner Quickies
- A piece of fruit, with 1 slice whole-grain toast with a tablespoon of almond butter.
- 1 hard-boiled egg with 1 cup sliced cucumbers
- Fill endive spears with chopped pears and season with balsamic vinegar.
- Spicy roasted chickpeas: Thoroughly dry canned chickpeas. Spritz lightly with olive oil, season with sprinkle of chile powder, onion powder and garlic salt and roast at 400° until crisp.
- Smoked Turkey Pinwheels: Spread a layer of hummus on sliced smoked turkey breast and top with spinach leaves. Roll up and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Top a rye cracker with romaine lettuce, a thin slice of reduced-fat cheddar cheese and smoked salmon.
- Mix crisp and spicy jarred corn relish with chopped tomatoes and cilantro; eat with rice crackers.
- Stuff lettuce leaves with chopped ripe tomatoes and cucumbers and hummus.
Sweet Tooth Satisfiers
- Frozen fruit – grapes, blueberries, banana slices
- Dark chocolate square(s) with 1 tablespoon almond or peanut butter
- 1 cup of fresh dark berries (blueberries, blackberries or raspberries) with a tablespoon of fat-free Cool Whip and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Greek Yogurt Parfait: Layer non-fat Greek yogurt with seasonal berries and top with a sprinkle of rolled oats.
- Don’t even think about putting out a candy bowl in your office or home; opt instead for stocking a decorative bowl with fresh fruit and whole nuts (keep a nutcracker handy).
- Keep containers of washed, raw vegetables and yogurt dip in the fridge at all times.
- If you want chips or nuts, don’t snack mindlessly from the bag. Count out a serving, and then put the bag away.
- Include healthy fats (almond butter, avocado, coconut oil, whole eggs) in the mix. These help satiate and alleviate hunger.
- Plan ahead. Take your snacks on the go.
- Drink at least a gallon of water daily. Not only will this help keep you full, but it will also alleviate any dehydration from over-indulging in adult beverages.